Grand Award Judging Criteria
The following evaluation criteria are used for judging at the Africa Science Buskers Festival. As shown below, science communication and innovation have different criteria. This year all the judging will be based on the submitted documentation (application form and video presentation).
Judges can send questions to the participants via email. Projects are judged on the basis of their quality.
Considerable emphasis is placed on two areas: Creativity and Presentation,and are discussed in more detail below.
Creativity: A creative project demonstrates imagination and inventiveness. Such projects often offer different perspectives that open up new possibilities or new alternatives. Judges should place emphasis on research outcomes in evaluating creativity.
Presentation/Interview: The interview provides the opportunity to evaluate the participants’ enthusiasm and ability to explain the project.
Judging Criteria for Science Communication Entries
- Explanations of demonstrations shown must be scientifically accurate, and use
- scientifically precise and correct language without overwhelming the audience with jargon.
- Ability to explain science concepts in everyday language without compromising on the science accuracy.
- Ability to engage, interest and excite the audience.
- How much ‘wow’ factor in the busking/presentation.
- Ability to make the audience feel inspired and walk away with the feeling that they have learnt something.
Setup, Costume, Overall look and feel
- Creative and innovative ways of showcasing demonstrations.
- Blending of the look & feel with the science concepts presented.
- Creative presentation design concepts.
Judging Criteria for Innovation Category
I. Research Problem/Question
___ description of a practical need or problem to be solved
___ definition of criteria for proposed solution
___ clear and focused purpose
II. Design and Methodology
___ identification of a solution
___ well designed plan and data collection methods
___ development of a prototype/model
___ systematic data collection and analysis
___ reproducibility of results
___ prototype has been tested in multiple conditions/trials
___ prototype demonstrates engineering skill and completeness
___ project demonstrates significant creativity in one or more of the above criteria
___ clear, concise, thoughtful
___ recognition of potential impact in science, society and/or economics